DJ GRIND (Stephen Massey) is one of the country’s most sought-after up-and-coming DJs. Last year, DJ GRIND burst onto the scene as the winner of the 2011 GayDays National DJ Contest, distinguishing himself from more than 200 of the country’s top DJs competing for this highly-coveted prize. Since that time, he’s booked some of the biggest gigs in the country – including White Party Palm Springs, GayDays, Winter Music Conference, Splash (New York), The Paramount (Provincetown), Cobalt (Washington, D.C.), Eleven Lounge (West Hollywood) and Ruby Skye (San Francisco), among others. He’s also been a featured artist on RSVP Vacations’ Caribbean and Mediterranean cruises, and he supported Kylie Minogue’s 2011 “Aphrodite” world tour as an opening act.
We recently caught up with DJ GRIND to talk about music, life on the road and his meteoric rise to the top tier of the DJ circuit.
You are on quite a roll, and people across the country seem to be falling in love with DJ GRIND. What’s your secret?
I moved to San Francisco in 2005, and it was love at first sight. I’ve been an active member of the local LGBT community since the moment I crossed the Golden Gate, and I’ve met some amazing people and made close friendships with individuals who also happen to own bars, promote clubs, operate LGBT businesses and some other really talented DJs. I can confidently say that I owe 100% of my success to my incredible community of friends and supporters in San Francisco who believed in me and encouraged me to follow my passion.
What’s hot on your summer playlist?
Well, I love this time of year because artists drop all of
their biggest, most joyful anthems as the days get warmer. There’s just something about summer that brings a whole different level of energy to music, and anyone who’s ever heard my work knows this is the time of year I live for. I don’t think we’ve heard the “Song of the Summer” just yet, but here’s my current Top 10:
10. Save Me (DJ Chus & Abel Ramos Miami Mix) – Ultra Nate
9. Young (The Alias Club Mix) – Tulisa
8. Girl Gone Wild (Rafael Lelis Remix) – Madonna
7. Lights Are Fading (Original Mix) – Jono Fernandez feat. Twin Atoms
6. The Night Out (Maison & Dragen Remix) – Martin Solveig
5. Only the Horses (Calvin Harris Extended Mix) – Scissor Sisters
4. Powerless (Vegas Baby Remix) – Siobhan Dillon
3. Glitter and Gold (Feverpitch Extended Mix) – Rebecca Ferguson
2. Dance Again (Rafael Lelis Haus Mix) – Jennifer Lopez feat. Pitbull
1. Charlie Brown (Dave Aude Club Mix) – Coldplay
Sun., 6/3: GayDays Orlando Closing Event
Sat., 6/9: I Just Wanna F*ckin’ Dance @ Beatbox (San Francisco)
Sun., 6/10: JOCK @ The LookOut (San Francisco)
Fri., 6/22: UNDERWORLD Pride Edition (San Francisco)
Sat., 6/23: SURGE @ The Social (Seattle)
6/29 – 7/6: RSVP Exotic Mediterranean Cruise
Sun., 8/5: Vancouver PRIDE
Fri., 8/31: Labor Day Weekend @ The Paramount (Provincetown, MA)
Thurs., 9/6: GayDays Las Vegas
– By Michael Cook & Centaur Music