This Pride month, Mobilizing Our Brothers Initiative’s (MOBI) MOBIfest returns for the second year of its citywide wellness festival with three days of events from Thursday, June 13, to Saturday, June 15, to celebrate contributions to the arts, entertainment and culture from queer communities of color.
Queer performers, influencers, talent, artists, designers and comics from New York City and beyond will help bring MOBIfest to life with programming taking place everywhere from Chelsea in Manhattan to Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Last year saw the inaugural MOBIfest headlined by Danity Kane’s R&B powerhouse, Dawn Richard, with a concert at Melrose Ballroom.
This year, another R&B heroine – Sevyn Streeter will take the reigns with a headlining performance at Music Hall of Williamsburg. MOBIfest will kick off with a VIP launch party on Thursday, June 13th followed by a queer art show and exhibition on Friday, June 14th. This is all leading up to the main show on Saturday, June 15th where MOBI’s lineup of queer talent and performers will take to the stage at Music Hall of Williamsburg for DJ sets, a mini ball segment, drag performances, a comedy show, and concert featuring Sevyn Streeter and local queer acts.
Although Pride month events attract big names and acts all over the city, MOBI aims to carve out space for the community to have a platform during their events. Local visual artists can submit their work now on MOBI’s website at “mobi-nycom/artist-call” for a chance to have their work exhibited during MOBIfest’s queer art show on Friday, June 14th. Bronx Designer and Creative Director, Jerome Lamaar is curating the art show and will hand-pick each artist alongside the MOBI team.
MOBIfest stands out among the myriad of Pride events and parties taking over New York City in June in that attendance is completely free by attending any of MOBI’s free, pre-festival wellness activations. Upcoming activations can be found below and are updated on MOBI’s website at “mobi-nyc.com/access”
Earn FREE access to MOBIfest by registering and attending any of these upcoming activations:
- June 1st – Lit Fit Workout Class with Jarad Lott
- June 1st – ThriveNYC Mental Health First Aid Training
- June 6th – The Moth Workshop
MOBI is announcing acts and entertainment throughout the month, but Get Out! has a roundup of a few of the talents you can expect to see next month at MOBIfest:
– Sevyn Streeter – Sevyn Streeter has cemented herself as a rising musical sensation and will lend her talents as the MOBIfest headliner during Pride month.
– Super Bitch – Social media sensation Dremon Cooper, aka Super Bitch, has become a viral, high-heeled superhero who has worked with Fenty Beauty and is collaborating with Lee Daniels as the star of a superhero film.
– Alex English – Complex Magazine named Detroit-bred, NY-based Stand Up Comedian, Writer and Actor Alex English one of “15 Personalities that need to be on television.” English has opened for such comedians as Roy Wood, Jr, Michelle Wolf, James Adomian, Sasheer Zamata, and Sam Morril.
– Bry’Nt – Kicking off his #bryntpark tour next month in Brooklyn, Bry’Nt is a queer rapper on the rise and will return to the MOBIfest stage to perform his latest music. He has also had the privilege to perform nationally and internationally opening for artists such as DJ Class, Fantasia, Evelyn “Champagne” King, Lil’ Kim, Teairra Mari, Tweet, RuPaul, and Young MA.
MOBIfest takes NYC next month! Visit www.mobi-nyc.com and follow
@mobinyc on Instagram and Facebook for updates.